Large Version: finished size 72" x 72"
Small Version: finished size 36" x 36"
Fly Away was inspired by the Winged Square, a traditional quilt pattern. In my version, the scale of the block has been dramatically increased so that it makes up the vast majority of the finished work. Using solid colored cottons and simple construction, Fly Away creates a strong graphic design that is at once both modern and timeless and is suitable for both beginner and advanced quilters alike. The Fly Away pattern contains full-color illustrations and step-by-step instructions for both the large the Large Version, which finishes at 72" x 72," and the Small Version, finishing at 36" x 36." Fabric Requirements for the Large Version:
Fabric Requirements for the Small Version:
- Fabric 1: 3 1⁄2 yards (Robert Kaufman Kona Oyster)
- Fabric 2: 1 yard (Robert Kaufman Kona Regal)
- Fabric 3: 3⁄4 yard (Robert Kaufman Kona Pomegranate)
- Backing Fabric: 4 1⁄2 yards (Robert Kaufman Kona Oyster)
- Binding Fabric: 5/8 yards (Robert Kaufman Kona Oyster)
- 74” x 74” piece of batting or full size package
Notions for both versions:
- Fabric 1: 1 1/4 yards
- Fabric 2: 1/3 yard
- Fabric 3: 1/3 yard
- Backing Fabric: 1 1/4 yards
- Binding Fabric: 1/3 yard
- 38" x 38" piece of batting or baby size package
- marking tool such as a pencil or chalk marker
- blue painter's or masking tape and a permanent marker
- basic quilting supplies: sewing thread, quilting thread, pins, scissors, rotary cutter, cutting mat, 6” x 24” quilting ruler, etc.