Don't let your scraps get the best of you! This wonderful technique will help you conquer your scraps with minimal waste. You will learn how to quickly create improvisational fabric "chunks" that can be combined to make placemats, table runners, pillow covers, quilts, wall hangings, and more. There are no seams or points to match, and there is almost no measuring. Use those precious bits and pieces from your favorite fabrics in a project that is fast and fun. After learning this technique it will be in your back pocket to help you manage scraps of any size from here on out!
Photo courtesy of Crazy Mom Quilts. Thank you!
Prerequisites: Sewing 101 or equivalent experience + basic understanding of patchwork sewing
Bring to Class:
About the Instructor:
- sewing machine & 1/4" foot
- basic sewing kit (fabric scissors, rotary cutter, seam ripper, tape measure, straight pins, and quilting ruler)
- Lots of fabric scraps in all sizes from woven (no knits please) cottons, cotton/linen blends, and other patchwork appropriate fabrics; prints and solids are both great.
- Note: you may choose to limit your palette, for example, only bright colors, or only low volume fabrics, or only in shades of 2 or 3 colors, or in a theme (e.g. a holiday theme). Unless you are choosing to do something like a low volume palette, be sure to bring a range of values (lights to darks) to add depth and interest to your patchwork.
- machine sewing thread in a neutral, blending color
Kelly Stevens is the Queen Bee at superbuzzy. She is a lifelong lover of textiles and loves to geek out about fibers, weaves, and color. Kelly is an equal opportunity fiber craft enthusiast, with a love of sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, embroidery, needle felting, and pretty much everything else involving fabric, yarn, or thread.
All classes at superbuzzy require prepayment and registration. In some cases, we are able to accept enrollments on the day of class. All classes begin and end on time; please plan accordingly to get to class on time so that everyone can get started together and right on time!
We know... life happens! Cancellations received 5 days prior to the first meeting are eligible for a credit toward a future class. Cancellations received less than 5 days prior to the first meeting forfeit their registration fee. We recommend you find an awesome buddy to take over your seat! Classes are subject to change or cancellation due to low enrollment.